On Monday, Police informed that Two men have died after they inhaled toxic gases while cleaning a septic tank in northwest Delhi‘s Azadpur area.
At 6.45 pm on Sunday, police received information that in a gold factory in Azadpur’s G-Block, three men fell unconscious while cleaning a septic tank.
According to fire officials, they received information about the incident at 6.54 pm and sent four fire tenders to the spot to rescue the men.
“Three of the seven men cleaning the tank fell unconscious. They were taken to the BJRM Hospital. On reaching the hospital, two of them – Idris (45) and Salim (45) – both residents of Khurja in Uttar Pradesh, were declared dead,” deputy commissioner of police (northwest) Vijayanta Arya.
The company that owns the factory located in the GT Karnal Road Industrial Area, Bada Bagh manufactures gold and silver chains, the police said, adding that it stores chemicals used in making ornaments and the water used for washing in a septic tank.
Abdul Saddam (35), Salim (35) and Mansoor (38) were treated and discharged from the hospital. Islam (40) is still undergoing treatment at the hospital and is reportedly stable, the police said.
A case under relevant provisions of law has been registered and the factory owner and the contractor have been arrested. The labourers were not wearing any safety gear and were engaged to clean the septic tank for Rs 400 each, the DCP said.
Moreover, If you look at the data on an average, six people died every month between 2015 and 2019 while cleaning sewers and septic tanks across India.
A total of 14,559 manual scavengers had been identified by Municipalities and Gram Panchayats in 13 States from 2013-2014 till January 31, 2020. Apart from that, a national survey was conducted in 194 districts in 18 States where 48,345 manual scavengers were identified till January 31, taking the total to 62,904.