Brain eating Bacteria found in tap water in Texas

Brain eating Bacteria found in tap water in Texas

Recently, Eight communities have been warned by the authorities not to use tap water for any reason except to flush toilets This decision came to surface after a deadly brain-eating microbe was found in the city’s public water supply.

However, On Saturday, Texas officials lifted a warning for all but for the one Houston-area community to stop using tap water because it might be tainted with the brain-eating microbe called naegleria fowleri.

Earlier this month, a six-year-old boy, Josh McIntyre, died after contracting the microbe. The investigation into his death led to the detection of the brain-eating amoeba after heath officials conducted water sample tests, Lake Jackson City Manager Modesto Mundo said in a news release Saturday.

Three of 11 sample tests indicated preliminary positive results for the brain-eating microbe, with one sample coming from the boy’s home hose bib, Mundo said.

The amoeba enters the body through nose and from there, it travels to the brain. Josiah’s mother, Maria Castillo, said her son died at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston on 8 September, and that doctors told her the cause was the brain-eating amoeba, NBC News reported.

The areas affected include Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute, and Rosenberg. However, the warning was later lifted from the other places except Lake Jackson.

The advisory will remain in place until the Brazosport authority’s water system has been thoroughly flushed and tests on water samples show the system’s water is safe to use. It said in a statement that it was unclear how long it would be before the tap water was safe.

The contamination of US treated public water systems by the microbe is rare but not unheard of. According to the CDC, the first deaths from Naegleria fowleri found in tap water from treated US public drinking water systems occurred in southern Louisiana in 2011 and 2013.

The microbe was also found in 2003 in an untreated geothermal well-supplied drinking water system in Arizona, as well as in disinfected public drinking water supplies in Australia in the 1970s and 80s and in 2008 in Pakistan.

Read more:80% COVID Patients in India are Asymptomatic

Read more: Vegan Milk to be renamed to “Dairy Analogues” by FSSAI

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: